Innovation/Talent search program for Youth with Disabilities.
Innovation and Talent Search
- Kerala-Development and Innovation Strategic Council (KDISC) partner with the Social Justice Department (SJD), namely National Institute for Speech and Hearing (NISH) and Kerala Social Security Mission (KSSM) to organize a Innovation/Talent Search for youth with disability. The Innovation/Talent aims to identify 100 youth with disability (YwDs) between the ages of 15 and 40 who stand out as being motivated, creative, talented and passionate, and with potential to think differently and innovate when placed in a supportive and facilitating environment.
Dead line for Application
- The last date for submitting the application form is January 31, 2019.
Eligibility for Participation
- All residents of Kerala between the ages of 15 and 40 with benchmark disabilities and with proven records of talents and other capabilities are eligible to participate. Youth with Disability includes those who have long-term physical, mental, intellectual or sensory impairments which hinder their full and effective participation in society on an equal basis with others.
- Disability shall include anyone with the disability of 40% or more.
- Specifically, nominations are invited from those with:
- Group I - Visual Disability:
- Low Vision
- Group II – Auditory Disability:
- Hard of hearing,
- Speech and Language Disability
- Group III- Locomotor Disability:
- Leprosy cured,
- Acid Attack Victim,
- Sickle cell anemia,
- Group IV - Intellectual Disability:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder,
- Learning Disability,
- Mental Illness
- Group V – Other Disability:
- Cerebral Palsy,
- Muscular Dystrophy,
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Group VI – Multiple Disabilities
- Group I - Visual Disability:
Types of Innovation/Talent
- Talents or innovations (doing anything differently from usual or producing an application that is new or different) are invited in the following 8 categories:
- STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
- Information technology (Development of Mobile Apps etc)
- Crafts, particularly using indigenous materials and methods
- Arts and Painting
- Food, Diet, and Health
- Music (vocal, instrumental, and composition)
- Creative/Literary Writing
- Video (even with mobile phones) or Photography.
- Idea for a new or different product, service, business model, or process (agriculture, natural resource management, water conservation, environmental protection, disaster management or other area)
- Each Applicant can apply for two of the above areas.
- Applications can be submitted by the applicants, their parents, legal guardian, teachers and counselors on behalf of the applicant.
- The applicant can only apply online through the links given below:
- Social Justice
- The applicant should duly fill out details like name, email id, mobile number, etc., required in the form as per instructions given thereof.
- Where the applicant finds it difficult to apply online, the applicant may seek support at the nearest Akshaya Centre, where help will be provided to file the application form for the Applicant(s), free of charge.
- Any false information or misrepresentation in application will lead to disqualification at any stages of the events.
Documents required for the application process
- Please make sure the following documents are ready before you start to fill the application form
- Scanned copy of the applicant’s photo (Size not more than 10MB)
- Scanned copy of the applicant’s disability certificate given by a competent authority showing the nature of disability and percentage of disability. (Size not more than 10MB)
- 2 Testimonials supporting the achievement (photos, certificates, newspaper cuttings etc) (Size not more than 10MB)
- Contact details of two referees (Referees can be Teacher, principal, elected representative, Local Self-Government functionary, health staff)
- Video clips supporting your achievement (if available) (Size not more than 10MB)
- If the application is submitted by a facilitator on behalf of the applicant please submit the documents mentioned below:
- Scanned signature of the Facilitator
- Scanned copy of the Government issued ID card of the Facilitator (Size not more than 10MB)
State-level Review Mechanism:
- An independent panel will be established at the state level by K-DISC for any complaints received on the selection process
- Complaints can be made by the person submitting the application or the applicant in writing within five working days of receiving the decision to NISH secretariat.
- A response will be sent to the Complainant within 10 working days of receipt of the complaint by NISH.
- The decision of the independent panel will be final.
- For any assistance or information, you can contact the helpline. #1800-120-1001(toll free)
Support for Selected YwDs
- Upto 100 selected YwDs will participate in a 6-day leadership camp organized by NISH.
- Up to 20 YwDs, meeting specified criteria will be selected to participate in a program on Innovation by Youth with Disabilities.
- Depending on the level and nature of talent, the YwDs not selected for the program on Innovation by Youth with Disabilities will be provided with opportunities for further training, mentoring and development of skills.