“Thalolam” intended to provide free treatment to the children below age of 18, who are suffering from Kidney diseases, Cardiovascular diseases, Cerebral Palsy, Brittle Bone Disease, Hemophilia, Thalassemia, Sickle Cell Anemia, Orthopedic deformities and other Neuro- Developmental Disabilities, Congenital anomalies ( Endosulfan victims) and accident cases which needs surgery. This scheme has come into effect from 01-01-2010 onwards.
- Children below 18 yrs. of age with lethal diseases who are inpatients in the designated hospitals.
- The patients can be registered only after confirmation to have a fatality /Malignancy.
- Patients belonging to the poor families and who cannot afford treatment irrespective of BPL/APL limit will be eligible for assistance under the scheme.
- Diseases which needs surgery like Kidney diseases, Cardiovascular diseases, Brittle bone disease, Cerebral palsy, Hemophilia, Thalassemia, Sickle cell anemia, Orthopedic deformities and other Neuro- Developmental Disabilities, Congenital anomalies ( Endosulfan victims) will be covered under the scheme.
- Treatment to the children in case of emergency as well as surgery will also be covered under the scheme.
- When a patient completes 18 yrs. after commencement of treatment, further assistance under the scheme will be extended for a maximum period of one year only. However, the Governing Body of the Kerala Social Security Mission can consider further extension in cases which require special consideration, based on the reports of the concerned specialist doctors and Superintendent of the Hospital.
- No pay ward patients will be eligible for free treatment under the scheme.
- In cases where continuous dialysis is necessary, the treatment can be given for patients to whom medicines can be purchased from the respective hospital counter.
A patient will be eligible for an initial assistance of Rs. 50,000/- only under this scheme. Additional financial assistance can be met based on the decision of the Superintendent, Head of the concerned Department of Specialty and Head of Radiotherapy Department. Such cases should be brought before the Executive Committee of Kerala Social Security Mission with justification for enhanced costs for ratification.
The funds are meant to cover the cost of drugs, investigations, procedures, implants, dialysis, heart transplantation etc. for which Government does not provide free treatment and for which the patients have to pay for. The funds should not be used for rent of pay wards, procurement of expensive drugs, investigations etc. which would not be done in the normal course in similar cases.
HOSPITALS COVERED UNDER THE SCHEME
1. Government Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram.
2. Government Medical College, Thrissur.
3. Government Medical College, Alappuzha.
4. SAT Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram.
5. Government Medical College, Kottayam.
6. IMCH, Kozhikode.
7. Government Medical College, Kozhikode.
8. ICH, Kottayam.
9. Co-operative Medical College, Kannur.
10. Regional Cancer Centre, Thiruvananthapuram.
11. District Hospital, Alappuzha, Ernakulam.
12. Sree Chitra Tirunal Hospital, Thiruvananthapuram.
13. Government Medical Hospital, Ernakulam.
14. Chest hospital, Trissur.
15. Institute for Communicative and Cognitive Neuro Sciences [ICCONS], Shoranur.
16. Institute for Communicative and Cognitive Neuro Sciences [ICCONS], Thiruvananthapuram.
17. Malabar Cancer Centre, Thalassery, Kannur.
18. Government MCH, Manjeri, Malappuram
HOW TO APPLY
Contact Scheme counselor/superintend appointed at selected hospital to get more details.