Kerala is a state well known for the efficient and effective health care system. Despite these advancements, much headway could not be made in home care. Most of the lowest income group always opt for the homely treatment as they cannot afford the charges levied by the well-known hospitals. They are bedridden causing a heavy social burden on their family members who are forced to stay back at home to look after these bedridden patients. While the upper income group can possibly afford to engage paid caregivers or home nurses for looking after such bedridden family members, the lower income group usually take it upon themselves to care for their bedridden brethren. These family members in fact function as informal care-givers, without due recognition or economic gain.
These results in loss of gainful employment or productive income for those informal caregivers who are forced to stay back home and look after their bedridden family members. This in turn results in economic loss for the entire family as one or more members cannot seek gainful employment outside their homes. Hence this scheme provides a source of income or a monthly assistance of Rs 600/- for these informal caregivers.
Aswasakiranam Scheme envisages assisting the care givers of physically and mentally disabled bed-
ridden patients, who are their family members or relatives. This scheme intends to provide a monthly assistance of Rs.600/- to those care givers who are unable to take up employment for self-sustenance. The scheme came into effect from 02/08/10 and all those who have been providing care giving service to patients since 02/08/10 will be paid monthly assistance with retrospective effect. This is apart from the pension given to the patient.
COVERAGE OF DISEASES
- All bed-ridden patients who need a full-time caregiver.
- Mentally challenged (Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Mental retardation, Mental illness).
- 100 % blind, bed-ridden cancer patients, old-aged bed-ridden.
- Brittle bone disease.
The scheme came into effect from 02/08/10 and all those who have been providing care giving service to patients since 02/08/10 will be paid monthly assistance with retrospective effect. This is apart from the pension given to the patient.
- One who is totally bed-ridden and at home with debilitating disability (physical, functional or mental)
- One who cannot take care of himself / herself for any day to day activity without a support of another person
- One who belongs to a family, Below Poverty Line as per BPL list and as per ration card
DOCUMENT TO BE SUBMITTED
- Medical certificate attested by Govt./ Vayomithram / NRHM doctors
- Attested copy of BPL ration card / BPL certificate issued by Panchayat or Municipality or Corporation / Income certificate issued by village officer as a proof for patient income
- Attested copy of Aadhar card / confirmation slip received
Scheme Implementing Agency
Kerala Social Security Mission
How to Apply
Application duly filled to be submitted along with Doctor’s Certificate at nearest Anganwadi or ICDS office.